A few inmates have been pushing for the idea for at least 10 years or more. They finally began the program about 2 months ago and had it's first group of graduates. The Humane Society picked 6 dogs who had behavior problems and they needed training because they were un-adoptable and could have been put to sleep. They had a pair of trainers and a few alternates who helped, plus a lady who trained the trainers how to handle the dogs. The dogs lived in the cells with the trainers, and inside the prison walls.
The graduation was short and some of the trainers spoke about their experience. One of them began to cry because it was the first time in a very long time he was trusted with something this big. And the dogs, after all their training, were all adopted. One of the inmates who trained a dog is getting out in a few weeks. The dog he trained, Sadie I think, was adopted by his wife and he will go home to to the dog and hopefully, it will remind him of the good that he created and keep him out.
It was really a nice program and graduation. It's nice to see dogs, who otherwise wouldn't have a home, finally have a place to go. Especially since back in 1995, shortly after I turned 12, I rode my bike up to the Humane Society to look at the dogs who were available for adoption.
I looked. There were a lot of dogs. But I didn't really see any that drew me to them. I played with a few, and petted them, but none of them really seemed to be my dog. The lady who worked the front counter said "Well, we have a few in the back. They have been picked up recently and have to stay away from the other dogs for the first week while we check them over to make sure they are healthy enough to go out. You can look at them if you want."
So I went back to this little room and peeked through the porthole window in the door. There was a few cats, and a few smaller dogs. Then, in the bottom right cage there was a thin, blonde, cocker spaniel staring back at me. I knew as soon as I saw him, that was my dog. I asked her when he would be ready to be adopted. She said "Well, if you come back on Tuesday he will be officially ready to be adopted. Are you sure you want to take him?"
"Yes. He is my dog."
"Well, I will put a note on his kennel card saying that you will be back on Tuesday. I will give you the adoption paperwork, and it will cost $77 to adopt him. If you change your mind we will have to put him out with the other dogs"
"No problem, I will be here on Tuesday."
I went home as fast as I could and told my mom that I found a dog. My parents said ok, and I waited patiently till Tuesday to go pick him up. I was there as soon as it opened, and I was ready to take him home.
And 14 years later, he is still with me. So, to see 6 other dogs get a chance to have a happy life, I am grateful.

Buster (1995)

Prison Puppy (1997)

Clown Buster, Lex's mom's assistant (2002)

Artsy Buster (2003)

Buster and Raja (RIP Raja I miss you) (2003)

Tutu Buster (2006) (I think)

Buster (the prey) and Zoe (the hunter) (2006)

Buster the blanket model (2007)

Buster doing his best Duke impersonation (2007)

My original dog, a cocker spaniel named Duke (1983 or 84 I think)

Snowman Buster (2009)

Buster, the best little ring bearer (2009)
I love you Buster. You're my best buddy.
That is a really neat story about the inmates; I didn't know programs like that existed. They should do more of that!
ReplyDeleteI guess it was a long time coming for this program. I know that at the womens prison they have a service dog training program. It actually had 2 dogs who could "sense" when their owners were going to have a seizure. I wish there were more programs out there like this that are positive.
ReplyDelete