Sunday, May 23, 2010

The longest project ever...

Almost 2 years ago I started working on a blanket for my brother. He called me letting me know that Malisa was pregnant with Isabelle. I started on the blanket right away, but after Paul and Malisa lost Isabelle, I had a hard time working on the blanket. Then, when they called to let me know that she was pregnant with Emily, it gave me the want to finish the blanket. I knew if it couldn't give it to Isabelle, I could atleast give it to Emily.

So I went back to work. Here is the parts and pieces that make up the longest project ever.

There were many parts to the blanket.

I LIKE TURTLES!

Pink Piggies.

Cute little doggies.

Happy little frogs.

Snazzy bears with blue bow-ties

Cheerful blue birds.

I love these lions, MANE!

All animal line up.

But clearly, there can't be only animals. There weren't enough in those pictures. Unless it was a small small blanket. So the pattern called for some flower-esque pieces. In ALL DIFFERENT COLORS!

Like...
Green flowers
Blue flowers
Yellow flowers
Red flowers
Pink flowers
and Orange flowers

With the shapes of the pieces I needed some white end fillers, so the blanket would be even at the ends and not zig zag.

Odd little half pieces.

So it gave a close to rainbow effect. Sorry, no purple. But I swore that there was purple in the blanket when I bought the yarn. Oh well.

Rainbow. Ish.

Here is every single piece stacked up.

Overload.

Now, I don't know which took me longer. Making these, or crocheting them together. Because it wasn't like I could just grab one at random, no, I had to pay careful and close attention to the pattern in the book. And I started with attaching each piece into the rows that I needed. Then, I had to piece the rows together. NOT as easy as you would think. I know I panicked more than once thinking I screwed up the order. But once I finally got every piece into a row, then every row put together I still wasn't done. All of the long pieces of white yarn needed to be weaved into the main body of the blanket. Then I needed to complete the border on it.

That was tricky. See, the pattern regarding the border, didn't make sense once I started it. It wasn't going to end correctly. So, I had to wing it. it is close to the original, but I figure only I (and you) will really know that it isn't exact. But hey, it's ok. Point is I got it all done.

Oh...you want to see that? Ok I guess.

Ta-da!

Semi-close up

So, the blanket is finished and given to Emily. She is way too small for it right now, but when she gets older it will be there for her. Malisa was excited about the blanket because she had been planning on doing Emily's room in a jungle theme with lots and lots of animals so the blanket works out perfectly for her.

I'm just glad it is finished. It was a long long process. And no, not planning on making one like that again. Waaaaaay too much. I was afraid I was going to lose pieces as I carried them all around and worked on them.



1 comment:

  1. OME fool, that blanket turned out SWEET!! I love it! I know Emily is going to love it and she'll love that her Auntie Annie made it for her =] Good job fool.

    ReplyDelete