Twice a year I spend all day thinking about my friend Katie.
She does cross my mind here and again. I'll hear a song that reminds me of her, or see something that reminds me of her. And it makes me smile and miss my friend.
Today is the 7 year anniversary of her being taken from her family and friends. Every year it's hard. Same with her birthday in September. It's just hard.
She was a ray of sunshine, always happy and smiling and a fantastic person.
And no one gets that anymore. I know I only knew her via online, but we were friends for 3 years. We talked on the phone and I did look forward to meeting her someday.
Then she was gone.
7 years ago she was murdered during an attempted carjacking. Her boyfriend was in the car with her, and he survived.
Shortly afterwards one of the murderers was killed during an altercation. I can't say I'm sad.
The other one was eventually caught and put on trial a few years later. But her boyfriend wouldn't come testify that he saw him driving the car that had the shooter in it.
No one knew where he was.
They gave him 28.8 months in prison with credit for 21.3 months already served in jail. 7.5 months. He was facing life in prison. And with his lengthy criminal career, it should of been life. But no. Because that shit head couldn't be bothered to show up he basically got away with murder. Murder of my friend.
He's out now, and from what I can tell has kids.
My friend will never get married, have kids, grow old, and get to live her life that she had infront of her.
Her boyfriend was sentenced to 12 years in prison a few years ago for being involved in criminal stuff up in Massachusetts. It makes me a little happy to know that he is in prison. He might not of killed her, but he couldn't even come help her when she needed him.
It got to me today when I was at working, making up some time for when I was sick earlier this week. Reading files about guys who murdered other people and are now in prison. Some who even fought coming back to Washington for their charges. It just made me mad. It reminds me of the sadness about my friends death.
Angry that he couldn't help her, when she loved him.
Angry that the other one escaped a life behind bars when he took hers.
Just angry.
Katie, know that I love you. And I think about you often. I still have your number in my phone, even though it isn't yours anymore. I guess I still want a piece of you with me forever. Sometimes I wish I'd get a silly message from it. I know it won't happen. But I can hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment