Friday, March 21, 2014

Fresh face forward


So a few months ago I started looking at my face a little closer and realized "Hey, you aren't getting any younger."

I know I'm only 30, but hey, why not start now taking care of myself so I keep looking young. 

Part of it came around because I started wearing makeup again about 2-3 years ago. So I had to look at myself a little more. 

I started venturing out into YouTube and finding people who reviewed makeup, skincare and hair care. And then I started trying a bunch of stuff to see what worked. 

This is what I've found works for me. I'm sure it will change as I've found more stuff to try online that I just haven't bought yet. 

Few things about my skin; it's mostly normal. I don't have acne or a real problem with breakouts. I do have some dry spots on my cheeks and forehead. I also have some dark circles under my eyes. Probably from my years of late nights and not enough sleep. 

Damn you teenage years. And early 20's. And last week. 

But I want to control that. And I'm making headway. 



James actually found this when we were at Ulta and I gotta say, I love it. It works really well cleaning all the dirt and leftover makeup off my face. It's not harsh at all, and it smells so good. No chemical smells at all. It is a little on the watery side so be careful. But it works into a nice lather pretty easy.

Speaking of good smelling, these have to get a mention - Ole Henriksen Truth To Go Wipes


These smell so damn good. It's like an orange explosion on your face. They are also a good cleanser option. They don't dry out your face and like I said, smell amazing. I picked these up at check-out while at Sephora to try them out and they just make my face feel great. 

Toners (I've got 2 toners to mention) - Lorèal Hydrafresh Toner and Formula 10.0.06 So Totally Clean


Initially I got the Hydrafresh toner for myself and James got the Formula 10.0.6 for him. But I have tried his as well and I have to say, I like them both. They both don't dry out my face and I use this after hopping out of the shower to get the most benefit from it. Goes really well with exfoliating cotton pads.





I originally used Clinique Take The Day Off and while I do love it, it is a bit more expensive. I tried the Sephora brand because it was about half the price of the Clinique version. It works the same as the Clinique so I'm probably going to stick with it. Well, I have heard about using just straight olive oil and I might give that a try and see how it works. It takes off just about everything. I still haven't quite found something that gets all of the Benefit They're Real mascara off in one try. That stuff is ridiculously potent.

And something new that I've tried recently that I was surprised with:
Almay Oil Free Makeup Eraser Sticks


I picked these up on a buy one get one 50% off sale and they actually work. Really well. It always seems that after I give my face a good wash some mascara ends up on my lower lash line and it's a pain getting off sometimes. These are concentrated and get right to the point. 

Helping me look less old - Lorèal Youth Code Serum Intense


This Youth Code stuff is amazing. I've been using it once a day, generally after I get out of the shower and use the toner. My skin is smoother and in general, looks better. I wish I could tell how much is left in the container though. I've been using it about a month and a half and it still feels pretty full so I guess I will go with that. 

Dark circles (because I don't sleep as much as I should) - Olay Eye Brightening CC Cream


I've noticed a legit difference in my under eye circles. It does brighten my under eye area and puffs it up a little so I don't look so hollow under there. I've noticed the circles are gradually getting lighter so it is working. The jar is small, but you don't need to use that much. I've barely made a dent and I've been using it every night for a month. Sometimes if I do need the help I will put it on it the morning as well. 

My last one is for helping with my pores and make them not stand out as much. I don't know if you've ever looked in one of those high power magnifying mirrors but DON'T. 
You will hate yourself. 
Like I hated myself. 
It wasn't good. 



I have been also using it as a makeup primer and it works really well for that. It also replaced my Benefit POREfessional primer (which was a shocker).
I loved my POREfessional primer. But it was so expensive. I can get this for about $12 cheaper than my Benefit stuff (sorry guys!) when I buy at Rite Aid using rewards and coupons and I get more of it. Directions say to use it morning and night, but I only use it in the morning (I use the serum in the evenings instead), and even with that, I see a difference. It is the same consistency and has a similar fleshy tone, so it applies the same. 

But now my pores are smaller. And it makes me want to look in one of those awful mirrors again. Almost. 

So, that's my skin care routine right now. And I am seeing a difference in mah face. Which is the point. If I can delay looking older for now, I'm all game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment