Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving re-cap

I was so exhausted from cooking all day on Thanksgiving that I didn't really have time to get stuff up and posted. It's been a very busy few weeks and I am just getting a few moments to write this up.

So, we started cooking the Turkey at 10 am. As I said before it was a little frozen on the bottom. And it was a pain in the butt trying to put the stuff in it. But, the turkey came out very well. It was a smidgen dry, but only a little. It had excellent flavor.

Mmmm turkey

The recipe that I found for the turkey was great. I would use it again. It was for a 9 lb turkey, and ours was 12 lbs. I still want to know how the heck they got everything in it that they said should go in it. I had a heck of a time. I thought I was a little crazy. But the recipe came from the blog For The Love Of Cooking. Sage and Thyme Roast Turkey

We also found out that our oven isn't as big as we thought. We were trying to put one of the appetizers in to cook while we were waiting for the turkey and..we didn't have enough room. James had to make a run to my mothers house to borrow her oven. So, when they came over, bearing pie, brussel sprouts, dip and a cute little guy on 4 legs:
Buster puppiez

Once everyone was there, we set out some snacking food.
Nothing says yummy like carbs and cheese.

I just had to make the roasted red pepper dip that I had at Morgan's house once for a baking date. It was delicious. And it was a big hit. My mom couldn't get enough of it. The recipe came from Our Best Bites: Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip We also put out some olive oil with balsamic vinegar. We tried that once at an italian place on our honeymoon and it was delicious.

So, everyone hung out in the living room. Mom and Dave were eating and playing on the Wii, and James and I were just going crazy in the kitchen. Chase was patiently waiting for some food, or someone to throw his ball.
Chasie Magoo

After the turkey was out resting we could out the sweet potatoes and stuffing in. I also got to use my awesome Ikea potato masher. It's big, metal and awesome. Made the best mashed potatoes. And, it was like 3 dollars. Totally worth it.



The stuffing was a recipe I found on the food network. I had never tried it before either. This year was a lot of firsts.
Moms Dressing Recipe But it was delicious. The apple in the stuffing was fantastic.

I'm not a big sweet potato fan, but James and my mom are. I was having a hard time finding one that used actual sweet potatoes cut into chunks instead of mashed ones. My dad finally pointed me in the direction of bourbon sweet potatoes. It came from All Recipes.com Bourbon Sweet Potatoes



James then had me put marshmallows on it because he loves his sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I'm sure I can find a pic of that some where.

Then, of course, the awesome mashed potatoes, which the recipe is just in my head. Potatoes, boiled till tender, drain, mash with butter and some milk and serve. And the dish they are in we got from Bed Bath and Beyond when we got married. It was a door prize for getting married. How awesome is that?


James made a great tropical fruit salad. It had mango, papaya, pineapple and lots and lots of other good stuff. It was delicious. He was never a big fan of canned fruit.


Thankfully, I didn't feel like making my own rolls. I found lots of recipes that looked good. But, I have a fondness for the rolls that Loney's makes. Dear god, they are delicious.


In our house, we have a rather small dining room. So a few weeks ago we re-arranged the living room so that we could move the table into there. It worked out really well. We had plenty of room for the table and everyone. Right as we were pulling the last few things out of the oven, Lani showed up. We told her to come over after work for dessert, but we actually didn't eat dinner on time. So, we grabbed another chair and another plate.

Full table.

Since I think Mom was the only one who had every possibly carved a turkey before, she got the joy of doing it.
The first picture makes me laugh every time I see it.
The turkey was giving her a hard time...

Momma carving up nummy turkey

Chase being totally disinterested in dinner. Buster was confused.

Lani and I

Mom and Dave

Dave and James

James and I

Dinner was delicious. Everyone stuffed themselves silly. Then, after putting the food away, giving the puppies some turkey, moving the table back into the dining room and doing the dishes, we all sat down to watch Star Trek. Once the majority of the awesome food settled, we got out the pies. I made apple and a chocolate cheesecake. Mom brought a pumpkin, peanutbutter silk and a sour cream lemon pie. Basically, there was so much pie, it was insane.

Mmmm pie.

And it was probably one of the best apple pies I've made. Home made crust, while time consuming to roll out and prepare, made the difference. I will have to make it that way from now on, because it was probably the best. It didn't split on the bottom, as I noticed store bought pie crust does sometimes.

We want PIE!!!

It was a great great day. I was so tired by the end of it, all I wanted to do was sleep. The next day we took over the leftovers to my moms house and stuffed ourselves silly again.

At the end of the day, it was great to have everyone there. Especially all my boys.
Awww ♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment