Saturday, October 30, 2010

Big Project

A few months ago I decided that I needed something to do with my scrap yarn from my various projects. I had a lot of different colors. I thought about making a big blanket, big enough to cover a queen size bed. A lot of the ones I have given friends and family have been personal sized blankets, not big enough to cover an entire bed. I made my best guess with how big the squares should be. I just made a simple granny square, and a lot of them. I tried to make 3 of each color that I had. There were only a few colors that I didn't have enough of to do that but I atleast got 2 of them.

It was a lot of squares.
Rainbow!

See, I said a lot. And that is just the solid ones.

And here is all of the variegated ones.
Oooh multi colored

I got a little bit started and Chase thought that it was his.
Blanket hound

I'm not quite sure which took longer, making all of the squares or putting them all together. Putting the blanket together was a chore in itself. Trying to make sure that I didn't have colors that were the same together or even too many variegated ones next to each other was hard. Once I got everything together I checked to see how big it was and found out that I had to add on another row to make it big enough for a Queen size bed. That was a little easier because I could just make the squares I needed and add them on.

So without further ado, here is the totally finished blanket. I actually finished it right after James's blanket but I didn't have the time to get it laid out and take a picture of it. I finally was able to do it tonight.

The 1970's threw up on my bed.
Disco partaay!

Another view of the blanket.

Little bit of a closer view

Oh there is my blanket model. He is so happy.

Chase!

It came out really well. I like simple and interesting blankets. The blanket is pretty warm too. I used it the other day and it kept me super warm. It reminds me of the 1970's too and something that maybe my grandmother would of made. And it almost used up my scraps! Actually, I started another granny square blanket and I actually had to go by new yarn because I didn't have enough of certain colors. Especially black. I went through a whole HUGE skein of black yarn to put everything together. I'm contemplating selling the blanket at some point. I just need to wash it (Chase has been awful fond of it and likes curling up on it) and put it away for now.

2 comments: