I've been completely engrossed in my iPod. My friend Nick and Luis have been bombarding me with apps to try. Words with Friends, my new obsession. I get to play scrabble against those two, and anyone else who will play me.
Then, just the JOY of being able to update my iPod with the music that I want to listen to. Or podcasts. I was SO BEHIND on Tell Em Steve Dave that I still haven't caught up. I don't get a lot of chance to listen at home normally, so when I am working that is what I'm doing.
So the day I got my iPod, well, our toilet started leaking from underneath. Late at night. After Home Depot was closed. We looked up what the problem could be, and yep, it was most likely the wax ring. On my way to get my car from being fixed (long story short: Icy out, tried to slow down, hit the curb, bent some shit that had to be fixed, I HATE CRAPPY WEATHER!) my mom and I stopped by Home Depot to get the supplies. It's fairly cheap to fix a worn out wax ring, less than 10 bucks.
Oh if only the actual fixing of it was easy.
Well, it seemed easy. Pull the toilet off, scrape off the old wax ring, clean the floor, put on new wax ring and set toilet back down over the pipe.
The last part of that sentence, set toilet back down over the pipe, is the HARDEST. THING. EVER.
First of all, toilets are heavy. And once you have the wax ring in place and go to put the toilet back down on the hole, you can't set it down. At all. Unless it is in the exact spot it needs to be in. Which means you are 100% sure that it is over the hole and lines up with the two bolts that hold it to the floor. And what if you set it down before you are sure? Get a new wax ring buddy, that other one is useless now.
So, Saturday we put the new wax ring on, and we thought it was all good. Seemed to be working well. When we pulled it off we also discovered that one of the bolts that holds the tank onto the base must have dripped a little in the past. Flash forward to Sunday night. I hear "drip, drip drip, drip" and discover that it's that same bolt dripping faster than it ever did.
Then, trying to get the water out of the tank, we discovered the wax ring failed when a whole bunch of water came screaming out at us.
It was 11:30 at night. Home Depot, closed. So we shut off the water to the toilet and then, via college beer cup, I got all of the water out of the tank. The next day we replaced the washers on the bolts and replaced the wax ring. Again. Turns out, we didn't get it on exactly right the first time and it is a miracle that it held the day and a half. Now I think that we have it on, haven't had a problem, and if it ever happens again, I don't care. I'm calling a plumber.
Now for the good story. That was the crappy one. GET IT? CRAPPY?? Oh I kill me.
Yesterday was a baking date with my friend Morgan. She is throwing a Dexter Party next month and we were working on some of the foods that are going to be at the party. She made Gooey Butter Cake and Queso Blanco Dip. Well, I'm assuming that is the right queso dip. I didn't ask. I just ate it. So. Good. Anyway, we were making witch finger cookies. And we painted the nails ala Rudy (AKA Ice Truck Killer) season 1 with the different colored nails. The dough was super yummy, and easy to work with. Just have to not model the fingers after REAL fat fingers, like my own, but more like normal bony witchy fingers.
They came out really really awesome though.
We used normal cream cheese frosting that was thinned out a little bit and dyed with food coloring. When we make them for the party they are going to be done with Royal Icing. The colors should be brighter and the icing will firm up and create a nice look on the almond fingernails. A few almond tips broke, so why not give them a french tip look?
Buncha fat fingers
And after we were done, we played on our iPods for like an hour and a half. Just sharing stuff and having fun. We're going to make them again closer to the party, and hopefully I don't make them all fat. The thing I'm scared to make is the blood slides. Hot, molten sugar. Hopefully I don't hurt myself too bad. But all of this Dexter talk makes me want to watch. Again.
Oh, bonus, I've been on a Ben Folds kick apparently and I can't get this song out of my head.



No comments:
Post a Comment