Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate

I saw a recipe for Spumoni cookies and it sparked my interest. I wanted to try and figure out how to make Neapolitan cookies. I looked and found a few recipes, but they only flavored them vanilla and chocolate. The pink part was just pink. No strawberry.

That made me sad. Because I always loved the strawberry part of the ice cream.

So I found a recipe to try, but I decided to change it. Because strawberry can not be forgotten!

So here is the recipe with my changes:
Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
pink gel food coloring
2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 TB mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon strawberry extract

Line a loaf pan with saran wrap. Make sure that it hangs over the edges so that you can remove the dough loaf later.

In the mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Then add the egg and mix well. In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture.

Divide the dough into three bowls.

In the first bowl, add the vanilla and mix really well.

Just look at those flecks of vanilla:
Love it.

In the second bowl, mix in the cocoa powder. I used about 2 1/2 tablespoons for mine. Then mix in some mini chocolate chips. I didn't have any mini choc chips, so I rough chopped up some normal chips.


In the third bowl add in 1 teaspoon of strawberry extract. It will color the dough pink, but not a whole lot. After the strawberry is mixed in, add the pink gel coloring. It doesn't take much. Just add it and mix until you get the color that you want.



Spread the chocolate dough on the bottom of the loaf pan, then vanilla, then strawberry. Cover with the overhang of saran wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours. I think mine was in for 3-4 hours, and it was a good hard brick.

Chocolate...

Vanilla...

Strawberry...

Preheat the oven to 350. Remove the plastic wrapped log of dough.
It looks pretty nifty once it has totally set.

Unwrap and with a sharp knife, cut into 1/4 inch slices.

You can leave them as the long slices, or cut them in half. I cut mine in half. And I didn't do it as a big block, I cut each slice as I put them on the cookie sheet.

Long

Short!

They will spread. I only put 12 pieces on at a time. Mine baked for 6 minutes and they were perfect. But remember, my oven is psycho. It bakes things crazy fast.


You don't want to bake them too long or the vanilla layer will turn brown and crispy. Allow them to cool then try em out. They are delicious. And kind of addictive. I think maybe the next time I make them I might chop up some strawberries for the strawberry layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment