We waited to get on our plane, and then got on the plane. It smelled a little, well, only while the main cabin air wasn't going.
We be flyin!
James ON A PLANE
We flew Delta. They were nice. Planes are a little cramped. Seriously people, lets build bigger seats. My chair at work has more room (and yes, it's a normal sized chair). But they gave us yummy refreshments:
Cookies and Sprite, yay!
We landed in Minneapolis/St. Paul around 4pm. After navigating our way to baggage claim, getting our bags (which wasn't that hard since they were the last ones left) we had to go get the rental car for the 210 mile north drive to Nashwauk. The lady at the rental car place took one look at James and suggested we get more of an SUV type car for the bigger legroom. So, we get a Jeep Patriot, load up, start it up and it promptly tells us that it has low tire pressure in one of the tires. They were nice enough to give us a new car, a Dodge Journey, and send us on our way. We drove, and drove and drove. Finally stopping in Hinckley for dinner. And picking up some of these:
They would be breakfast for the next 2 days once we got to Nashwauk.
BTW, they have insanely huge english muffins:
DE-LICIOUS
Hours after we ate, we finally arrived in Nashwauk. James wasn't feeling too great and I had a headache, so we got the tour of the house (which 13 people were staying in) and then went to sleep in our weird little room in the basement pantry.
Thursday we wandered around town, saw a large mine pit that is no longer working.
And when I say we wandered around town, I mean it. Nashwauk is 4 blocks by 7 blocks. It isn't very big at all. After that mine pit, we did go see another one that is also filled in with water. It's funny how pretty they look now, 40 some odd years after they were decommissioned.
Really. It's a mine:
I know. It looks oddly pretty. The water was like glass, perfect mirror.
After we had our little tour of the town, we loaded up to head to the church which is WAY out there. Like 30 minutes away. The church is the Apostolic Lutheran Church. It's different. There are no musical instruments in the church, but they do have a choir. They have a really big church out in the middle of nowhere, that has a huge main floor and an equally big basement. We arrived and were given our jobs to get to decorating the church. Jill had a vision for her wedding, and we worked for hours to get her vision to where she wanted it. There were columns, tulle, pew bows, hanging rose balls, large flower vases and the colors of cream, sapphire blue and white.
When we finished, we got Jills seal of approval. And then we piled into cars to go get some food. It had been a long day. Mom and I were able to do everything you see here but building the columns and the flowers in the respective vases. And getting the tulle from the ceiling on down was an adventure in itself. James actually hopped up on the ledge and taped it to the ceiling. Then mom and I had to figure ways to wrap the tulle around the columns. Eventually she had to do the right side and I had to do the left side due to me being a lefty and her being a righty.
Friday was the big wedding. It started out with:
The basement flooding via the sump pump
The bride having caught a cold
The dresses for the bridal party still not finished
The dresses...that was a major drama leading up to the wedding. Jill gave the person making the dresses 8 months to get it all done. When they went for a fitting, the dresses were all still in panels. I know right. PANELS. Jill actually gave the woman till 4:30 on the day of the wedding (wedding was at 7pm) to get them all together. From what Janette was saying, not all of the bead work and embroidery was completed on Jills dress, but holy crap you wouldn't know. It still looked beautiful. Speaking of the dress, hey, wedding photos!
The groom:
And his men:
The bride (and her gorgeous dress):
And her women:
It was a lovely ceremony. Fairly short and too the point. A little different without actual music and just singing, but good none the less. Few pics from the ceremony now...
Jimmy waiting for his bride
Jimmy, Steve, Rusty and Christopher
Hearing from the preacher
*Kiss*
Mr. and Mrs. Yount
Bonus, I'm a sucker for orchids.
So. Pretty.
There was a long long LONG receiving line. There was a great number of people at the wedding. A lot of their church came. So once everyone said their congratulations, they got in line for food. And there was a massive amount of food waiting for everyone. They all got their food, but wait, we all got to sit at a special table. The head table.
Head table
Complete with place cards and lots of nifty decorations
I like sparkle
Jill and Jimmy did the cake thing, and they were nice to eachother. No smushing in faces. It was a pretty cake and let me tell you, most of it got eaten.

Cake!
Blue Orchid on top
Lilies going down one side
More at the bottom
Everything was wonderful and delicious. We all ate a lot of food, and then after cake there were brownies, and then homemade lemon meringue pie. I didn't make it to pie. James didn't either.
Now, remember Jills dress? When she went to sit down, the zipper in the back totally failed. If I remember right, the dress maker was going to be getting an earful from her on Monday after we left. They were able to fix it so she could keep wearing it for pictures, but I've never seen that much drama on a dress in my life. After food came photos with family inside the church.
But we took other photos as well. Like these:

Robert and Missy

Mom, Missy and me
Robert and Missy are my cousins. Missy is Jimmy's older sister. I have never met her before this trip to Minnesota. Same goes for Robert. And they are both wonderful and delightful! Robert reminds us of Bruno Kirby, you know, the guy from City Slickers and When Harry Met Sally. I actually met them the morning after we arrived. We got to spend a lot of time with them, which is always good.
Then we got to take photos with the bride and groom. I know there is one with all of us, but I think the wedding photographer might have it.

Younts
Then, after photos were totally done, we got to clean up everything that we put out the day before.

Cleanin the church

Bitchin earrings
This was the day I got eaten by mosquitos. Almost 20 bites in the few moments I was outside during the day. And we killed a crap load of them in the car. It was an itchy few days afterwards. The rest of the vacation will have to be in a second entry. This might already be an epic record for an entry...
No comments:
Post a Comment