Sunday, July 5, 2009

I must be crazy

It's 2 am and I'm baking.

James and I flipped for it and heads, we bake cookies after we get home.

It's going pretty well. Plus, I've got another roll of dough ready to be frozen so sometime we could do a baking date and decorate cookies with that royal icing (and flood them, make them look pretty).

I got the recipe from a place that I got a bunch of sprinkles and it seemed to be pretty solid. So, why not.

No Fail Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
• 6 cups all-purpose flour
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups unsalted butter
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
• Cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
• Put a handful of the freshly made dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to desired thickness. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Put the rolled dough, including the parchment paper, on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes or longer. Your dough will be chilled and ready to cut and bake with now wait and no added flour! Repeat with scraps after cutting cookies.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 8 -10 minutes. Let cool.


The first batch I did I started at 8 minutes and they got a little brown on the edges. So I backed it up to 7 minutes and that seems to be perfect. If you do smaller cookies maybe stay in the 6 minute range.
It was SUPER easy to roll out on the parchment/wax paper. We did a few "sheets" at a time and cooled them all on a cookie sheet in the fridge.

I also got a Slipat mat to put down on the cookie sheets and OH MY GOD HOW DID I BAKE WITHOUT THIS?????
It is the best, and if you don't have one, go get one. They slid off the sheet, there was very little burning/over browning and it is just fantastic.


So there are some of the cookies. I only have a few so far, dogbone, heart, music note, margarita glass and a few stars and squares. Funny thing about the margarita glass one, it was hard to move it from the paper to the baking sheet. So a lot of the time the stem part would break off, so now we have UFO shaped cookies. It's going to be exciting.
Especially since I have these:


Ok, so I know the picture is a little bad, but those are the awesome pearlized sugars. Those will look so awesome on the UFO shapes now.

Here is my sprinkle rack because dangit, it's pretty.



I have a lot of pink and black sprinkles left from the wedding. The silver ones are those awesome pearlized ones. Ahhh. Awesome.

Oh I got these too. Those are the brownie color chips.
Those will be good for some future creations.
Anyway...
James was a big help. He made lots of cookies.






But then after a while, he made himself a drink and sat down on the couch. He did many rounds of making cookies.
Tomorrow we are planning on decorating so oh boy, more photos there. I hope I can get the royal icing to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment