Sunday, September 20, 2009

Our honeymoon (day 2)

6/15/09:

Waking up whenever you feel like it, in a king-size bed, while listening to the ocean = AWESOME.


We spent the day wandering around Seaside, going to the little shops around town. We went to Pudgy's for breakfast/lunch. They had a nice little outdoor porch that you could sit and eat your food and do some people watching.
Soo excited...
James had breakfast:
Men eat sausage and eggs


I had lunch:
These fries were FANTASTIC.

Then after breakfast we walked around and our first stop was to the Seaside Candyman. Taffy. Mmmm. Taffy. The place is amazing. A 170 different flavors. And it was just so bright and colorful in there. Everyday when you go in, you get a free sample of taffy. Then you can spin this huge wheel and possibly win a prize. Even if you don't win big, you get another piece of taffy. Lovely.
Tubes and tubes of taffy...

...as far as the eye can see.

And it just goes on. We told ourselves that we wouldn't buy anything till we were closer to leave because otherwise we would eat everything we bought. But we still looked around. We also took on the wheel. I lost and just got a free piece of taffy. James won and had to pick a piece of candy.
James and his watermelon stick.

There was this other weird place in the same building that figured out the meanings of last names and the coat of arms that your family had. It was the WEIRDEST place I've ever been. You couldn't take pictures ( =[ ) but I really wanted to. It was a little hole in the wall with this creepy husband/wife team that kept talking and would NOT shut up. It took us about 45 minutes to get out of there. It was weird and creepy. We didn't go back and I we had to sneak back to the taffy store later in the week.

Once we broke free, James found this shirt.
Ha. Ha.

I wouldn't let him get it. Instead I made him take a cute couples picture.


Then we had to stop by this place called
The Buzz. They had this ice-cream and soda shop on one side and this huge candy store on the other side. They had candy I hadn't seen in years, and all kinds of sugary delights. It was a coma waiting to happen. I mean, look at these.

Chocolate covered Twinkies.

They had all different kinds...

Oh my gooooood....I wanted to try them all. But I behaved. Instead we got fudge.
Seriously? How much more can there be?

It was delicious too.

We went next door afterwards into the soda shop and James was searching the boxes and rows of soda, looking for one special one. After 10 minutes he couldn't find it, so he finally asked. The guy went into the back and produced this:

OMG!
Souix City Sarsaparilla.

He was SO EXCITED to see it. He just had to buy it. We still have it. We still have the orange Moxee too.

After that store we went to the other little shops along the streets. There was this cool place that made their own scented bath salts. I'm a sucker for bath salts. So, we got a few.

Then there was this weird store a little further down the street that had odd little things, like the lamp from A Christmas Story, and weird lunchboxes. We stopped in (another place that wouldn't allow us to take pictures..booo) and it was jampacked with all kinds of neat stuff. As we were leaving, I caught this jacket patch.

I had to buy it for my mom. When I asked the guy to get it out of the case, he sighed and said: "I just put this out today...I hope it is going to a good home."
Turns out that it used to be on his jean jacket back in the day, and he used to have a Firebird. He loved that car. I let him know it was going to my mother, who had a 74 Firebird. He was so happy it was going to a Firebird person.

We went to the local outlet mall after the local shopping and found little push bottom scoops (grabbed one for myself and one for Morgan) and a new pair of shoes for each of us. Then I was starving so we went to Guido & Vito's Italian Eatery and dear god, if I lived in Seaside I'd be fat off of their food.

First they gave us some fresh baked bread and olive oil.

James enjoyed himself:

We ordered homemade mozzarella breadsticks with fresh made sauce.
*drool*
Holy crap, these were the best things I've ever eaten. The mozzarella was fresh and delicious, and the sauce was fantastic. I could eat these till the day I die.

They gave us little salads with homemade dressing (delicious)

I had the fettucini alfredo with toasted pinenuts (oh my god...I was so full I couldnt' finish it but I wanted to)

James had the gnocchi with homemade pomodoro sauce. The slices of garlic were huge and delicious.

And their garlic sourdough bread was delicious. Crispy and garlic-y.

So after we stuffed outselves silly, we decided to go walk on the beach. We went down by the hotel that we stayed at when my dad got married.


It was a nice evening walk, and a great way to end the day. After a short while, we went back to the hotel and just relaxed in that huge giant bathtub. It was like being in my own personal swimming pool. I love vacations.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love taffy and I almost think that's one of the best things about the beach.
    Your food looks A.MAZ.ING, especially the mozzarella breadsticks. Jason & I had some bomb-ass homemade mozzarella chuncks on our honeymoon and they were the best I ever had to this day.
    HAHAHAHA, I want that shirt =]
    What do you mean you did not try one of those mouth dropping twinkies......I would kill someone for one of those =]

    ReplyDelete